Our oven has been out of commission for about 2 months, so when we were having a dinner party last week, I decided to make some simple popcorn balls for dessert. They were a big success with our friends (who are so sweetly adaptable and have learned how to dive right in and get their hands dirty with all kinds of messy American finger foods). These are really adaptable and take just a few minutes to put together.
5-6 cups microwaved popcorn, make sure to avoid all kernels when measuring out the popped popcorn (I just put 2-3 small handfuls of popcorn kernels into a brown paper bag, fold the top over twice, and microwave for 2-3 minutes until the popping slows. It’s so easy and healthy… until we add the sugar!)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup honey
1 Tablespoon oil
Optional mix-ins: cinnamon or other spices; peanut butter and chocolate chips for Reeses popcorn balls; raisins, peanuts, M&Ms for trail mix popcorn balls, etc.
Directions and Notes:
1. In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, combine the honey, brown sugar, oil, and cinnamon if using. Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes. It’s really important to microwave it until it’s bubbling and appears to have caramelized– this is key to getting your popcorn balls to stick together.
2. Carefully– the bowl will be hot!– pour the honey mixture over the popped popcorn and stir to combine.
3. Wait just a minute or two for the mixture to slightly cool. If you’re adding other mix-ins (peanuts, chocolate chips, etc., now is the time to stir those in.
4. Wearing rubber gloves to protect your hands from the still very warm mixture, press the popcorn into balls. The number of balls this makes just depends on the size of the balls. You can make mini, medium, or large.
5. Cool these in the refrigerator or freezer to allow them to harden before serving.
Tip: If you live in a really humid area like we do, make sure to serve these in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
Recipe adapted from: Sparkpeople.com