Austin chose these muffins for his birthday breakfast this year, and they were some of the best we’ve had in a long time. Hearty and whole grain, they kept us full for several hours.
1 cup sugar
3/4 cups canola oil
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup old-fashioned oats
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups grated apple
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cups dried blueberries, rehydrated*
Directions and Notes:
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Grease and flour 18 muffin cups.
3. Beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until well blended.
4. Add the canola oil and vanilla extract and mix.
5. In a separate bowl, combine the oats, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda, salt, and baking powder.
6. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture and stir until just combined.
7. Fold in the grated apple, walnuts, and blueberries.
8. Fill muffin cups about two-thirds full and bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees.
*Tip: Use fresh blueberries, or, to rehydrate dried blueberries, just cover it in water and boil or microwave for a 2-3 minutes until berries become plump. This gives a better texture to baked goods with berries.