I whipped together these gingerbread cookies for one of the Christmas parties we had last month. They were so easy to put together, and like all of the cookies I’ve posted here so far, don’t require butter. Our friends really liked the flavor of these, too.
1 cup packed dark brown sugar (as dark as possible if buying in the open market)
3/4 cups vegetable oil
1/4 cup molasses OR 3 Tablespoons more very dark brown sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/3 cup white sugar for decoration
Directions and Notes:
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190 degrees Celsius).
2. In a medium bowl, combine the brown sugar, oil, molasses, and egg. In a separate bowl, combine the next 6 ingredients (everything remaining except for the white sugar).
3. Combine the wet and dry ingredients.
4. Roll the dough into about 1 inch balls. Roll each ball in white sugar and place them on ungreased cookie sheets.
5. Bake 10-12 minutes or until center is firm.
Recipe adapted from allrecipes.com.