One of my friends takes me with her when she goes on business to another town sometimes and we always go to a sushi bar with great miso soup. She figured out how to recreate it and taught me how in one of our recent study-and-cook afternoons together. It required a few ingredients from Taobao, but they’re all really well priced and last for a long time! This will be fun to make when we have sushi parties at our house.
4 cups water
5 mushrooms, sliced
1 Tablespoon of this seaweed (will expand when cooking)
1/2 block tofu, chopped into small cubes
2 Tablespoons miso paste
1 teaspoon fish essence granules
1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
2 green onions, chopped
Directions and Notes
1. In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, put the seaweed in a small bowl and add a little water to hydrate it.
3. When the water has boiled, add the mushrooms. Boil 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
4. Add the tofu, miso, fish essence granules, and salt. Stir until the miso is evenly mixed with the water.
5. Stir in the now-hydrated seaweed