Mozzarella sticks bring back lots of memories… like the summer days at the lake and running over to the “Snack Shack” to buy them… Or my 13th birthday when my dad took me out for a special father-daughter dinner and I ordered mozzarella sticks and then almost choked to death… Or the college nights in Nicholasville getting half-price appetizers at Applebees with Austin and friends. We hadn’t enjoyed this little treat for several years, so I decided to cook some for us on our recent “Applebee’s at Home” date night. They were just as good as ever, and we even managed to eat all them without choking to death!Ingredients:
3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 1/2 Tablespoons Italian seasoning
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
roughly one pound of mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/2″ sticks (It’s important to keep them thin so you have a good cheese to breading ratio)
3 large eggs, beaten
vegetable oil for frying
Directions and Notes
1. Prepare a small baking sheet or plate by lining it with baking paper.
2. In a medium bowl, mix the panko, Italian seasoning, Parmesan, and salt.
3. Dip the first stick of mozzarella cheese into the beaten eggs to coat it completely. Allow the excess egg to drip off.
4. Roll the cheese stick in the panko mixture, pressing the mixture into the cheese so as much sticks as possible.
5. Dip the coated cheese back into the egg mixture and then into the panko mixture once more, so there are a total of 2 layers of egg and 2 layers of panko mixture on the cheese stick.
6. Lay the cheese stick on the baking sheet and repeat this process until all cheese sticks have been prepared.
7. Cover the baking sheet or plate and freeze for at least 2 hours or until completely frozen. Freezing them half a day in advance or overnight works great if possible!
8. When the cheese sticks are completely frozen, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. The oil should be roughly 2 inches deep.
9. When the oil is hot, working in batches, fry the cheese until the surface of each stick is golden brown, about one minute on each side. Remove carefully with tongs.