These were so good– we enjoyed them at our fourth of July party this year, and our guests were so excited by food on sticks! I added sausage-esque meatballs to some of them and left others with only veggies. The recipe is obviously open to adaptation depending on which veggies you prefer. We liked all the different colors. In our opinion, the mushrooms were one of the best parts– we’ve made them with both the white button mushrooms and the darker mushrooms like the ones in these pictures, and both are great!
1/3 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons white rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup water
2 Tablespoons honey
6 cloves of garlic, minced
½ teaspoon dried basil
2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons green peppercorn mustard (China friends, we got ours on Taobao. This added a great taste but I’m sure you could substitute something else or omit it if you don’t have any.)
½ Tablespoon pepper
2 medium potatoes
1 cup red, yellow, or green bell pepper chunks
1 cup red onion chunks
1- 2 cups white button mushrooms or brown mushrooms
1 cup zucchini chunks
1 cup tomato chunks or cherry tomatoes
Directions and Notes:
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until they are fork tender. Remove from water and cut into about 1-inch pieces.
2. Combine all of the vegetables in a large bag or bowl.
3. Combine all marinade ingredients and pour over the vegetables. Soak for at least 2 hours, stirring halfway through to make sure all the vegetables are covered.
4. Pre-heat the oven for broiling.
5. Skewer the vegetables, incorporating meatballs if desired.
6. Broil the skewers for 10-15 minutes, watching them closely until the vegetables reach a desired point of done-ness.
Note: The vegetable amounts are approximate; add more or less of each vegetable as desired. The mushrooms soaked the marinade in well and were really good!