1 cup + 1 Tablespoon whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ cup oil
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup chocolate chips
caramel (like the caramel from this post)
Directions and Notes:
1. In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, oil, egg, and vanilla until just combined.
2. Stir in the flour and baking soda until just combined.
3. Add the chocolate chips. Be careful not to over-mix the dough at any point.
4. Chill the batter for at least 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Use the batter to form 12-18 cookies on a cookie sheet. Press small pieces of caramel into the top of each cookie. I use the condensed milk caramel from another recipe on this blog, but any caramel will work. I just tore pieces off of a big block and pushed them in. It wasn’t beautiful, but it tasted amazing. (If the cookies are being cooked in multiple batches, put the dough back in the refrigerator to keep it cold until right before it’s ready for use.)
7. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes until the edges are golden brown. The centers should appear fluffy.
Recipe adapted from: Zesty Cook