The song “Blessed” by Martina McBride went over well during our “Great Women” unit. It was uplifting & inspired some good discussion on what it means to be blessed.
When I’m teaching music to English language learners, here are some things that have worked well:
- Give students time to read the song lyrics quickly before we listen.
- Give students time to complete a slow read after their first listen, underlining any words or phrases they don’t understand.
- Students ask their questions and take notes about the meanings and uses of various words and other related example sentences and phrases.
- Students repeat the song after me, line after line with a focus on pronunciation and intonation.
- Students practice singing the song along with the original track.
- Students sing the song along with an instrumental track.
- Students answer discussion questions pertaining to the content of the song.
Click here to download the PDF worksheet: Blessed Worksheet
Here’s what the worksheet looks like: