In June this year we visited Italy, once again from the comfort of our own home. Here are some ideas to create your very own Italian date night!
- Decorate with red, white, and green. I used red, white, and green poster board to make a big Italian flag behind our food table.
- Do a make-your-own-calzone or make-your-own-pizza bar. This kept preparation to a minimum and made for a fun date activity. See Calzone Dough Recipe below.
- Or make bruschetta… Recipe here.
- Dress up as Italian mobsters. As usual, we had no idea what we were doing but winged it with whatever we could find in our closets.
- Enjoy Italian music playing in the background during your dining experience. We enjoyed a little bit of Andrea Bocelli whose music can be heard here or here.
- Have an Italian soda bar. Instructions and printables can be found for free over at Our Best Bites.
- Watch an Italy-themed movie. Some ideas: The Italian Job, Life is Beautiful, Under the Tuscan Sun, Roman Holiday, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Angels & Demons, Much Ado About Nothing. Life Is Beautiful.
Calzone Dough Recipe
1 c. warm water
1 T. yeast
1 t. salt
1 t. sugar
1 T. oil
2 ½ c. flour
Combine yeast and water. Mix till dissolved and bubbles. Add salt, sugar, and oil. Add flour, stirring until dough pulls away from bowl. Turn onto floured surface and knead in remainder of flour. Form ball and place in greased bowl. Let rise till double in size. Roll dough out. Cover half the dough with sauce and desired toppings. Fold over dough, seal edges, and place on baking sheet. Bake in 375 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.
Filling… pepperoni, olives, peppers, mushrooms, cheese, and sauce.
Recipe from The Dating Divas.