This is my mom’s recipe for apple cake. I made this this week for students and local friends, and it may have been one of their favorites ever. They raved, got second helpings, and then took home the leftovers to share with their friends. Here’s the recipe just as she wrote it, except that I reduced the sugar from 1 ½ cups to ¾ cups so it was a less rich taste for our friends here. It was still plenty sweet enough in our opinion! Thanks for a great recipe, Mom!
6 cups apples, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
Directions and Notes:
1. Mix together the eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla.
2. Add the apples and stir until apples are coated.
3. Sift together the dry ingredients. Then stir the dry ingredients in with the apple mixture. The mixture will be very thick and chunky, less like a typical cake batter and more like apples coated in a little bit of thick batter.
4. Grease and flour a 9×13 pan and pour the apple mixture in. Press it down a little to make it somewhat even across the top.
5. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes.