A scant 2 Tablespoons cinnamon (or to taste)
Directions and Notes:
1. Cut clean apples into large chunks and place in a slow cooker. I opted not to peel mine and it turned out great.
2. Add 1 cup of water.
3. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours until the apples have softened.
4. Remove the cover and use a potato masher (or any other masher) to mash the apples partially, just to break them up a little more.
5. Keeping the heat on high, cook uncovered for 6-10 hours (depending on the strength of your slow cooker) or until the liquid has evaporated and the remaining mashed apple has started to almost caramelize a little bit. Be careful not to let it burn once the liquid is gone.
6. Combine the apple mixture and cinnamon in a food processor and process until smooth.
Because the apples reduced so much through the cooking process, the apple butter was plenty sweet enough without any added sugar.