1 pound ground chicken, beef, or pork
1 small onion, minced
A dash of salt and pepper
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 inch nob of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 ½ Tablespoons soy sauce
½ Tablespoon water
1 Tablespoon (natural) peanut butter
½ Tablespoon honey
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (add more for extra heat)
3 bunches green onions, chopped
1 medium lotus root, chopped into very small pieces (or use water chestnuts)
¼ cup peanuts, chopped
10-12 cabbage or lettuce leaves for wrapping
Directions and Notes:
1. Chop the onion and set aside.
2. Mince the garlic and ginger and put in a separate small bowl.
3. Mix the sesame oil, soy sauce, water, peanut butter, honey, rice vinegar, and chili garlic sauce in a small bowl.
4. Chop the green onions and lotus root and place in a medium bowl.
5. Brown the meat and onion in a medium frying pan, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. When the meat is nearly cooked, add the minced garlic and ginger. Continue cooking until the meat is totally cooked.
7. Heat the bowl of liquid ingredients in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Stir until smooth and pour over the meat mixture. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and allow the meat mixture to simmer in this liquid for 2-3 minutes to absorb the flavors.
8. Stir in the green onion and lotus root and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until the green onions are soft and the lotus root is heated through.
9. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts and serve with cold lettuce leaves.
Adapted from Iowa Girl Eats.