2 1/2- 3 cups whole wheat (or all-purpose) flour
¼ cup wheat germ (or more flour) for rolling
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons yeast
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons oil
1 cup warm water
Directions and Notes:
1. Combine 1 cup of the flour and yeast, then add the sugar and salt.
2. Add oil and water and beat vigorously for 3 minutes. Stir in the remaining flour. The batter should be moist but not ridiculously sticky. Knead the dough for 6 minutes.
3. Make the dough into a large, round mound and divide into eight parts. Make each piece into a ball and cover with a towel. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees Fahrenheit. Make the balls into flat discs, about 6” in diameter, 3/16” thick.
5. Place on top of tinfoil on an oven wire rack for about 5-8 minutes.
In a batch of 8 pitas, usually about 6 of them puff up well to create a pita pocket; for some reason I’ve never had a 100% success rate, but they’re one of our favorite breads either way! These are great for pita sandwiches, as a crust for pita pizzas, or for making into pita chips!