2 cups oats (I just use regular (not instant or quick-cooking) rolled oats from the “scoop-able” section of the supermarket.)
½ cup wheat germ
¼ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup chopped almonds (pecans or walnuts are great too)
½ cup (sweetened) coconut flakes
¼ cup maple syrup or honey
3 Tablespoons oil
2 Tablespoons water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions and Notes:
1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit, or 135 degrees Celsius.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the oats, wheat germ, salt, nuts, and coconut.
3. In a small saucepan, combine the maple syrup, water, oil, and vanilla. Heat for 1-2 minutes until warmed and fragrant.
4. Mix the wet and dry ingredients and spread onto a cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 60-75 minutes, stirring the mixture about every 20 minutes. You should bake it until it is golden brown and no longer seems moist.
6. Remove from oven. It will become crunchier as it cools. Store in an airtight container.
Serve with almond milk as cereal, with fruit, with yogurt, or by itself for snack!