For the cake:
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon + 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup pumpkin puree
½ teaspoon vanilla
1 cup milk
3 Tablespoons white sugar
4 Tablespoons brown sugar (divided)
For the topping:
½ cup whole wheat flour
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
2 ½- 3 Tablespoons oil
Directions & Notes:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and oil an 8 x 8 square pan.
2. Dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, mix the 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, baking powder, baking soda, salt, white sugar, and 2 Tablespoons of the brown sugar. (As usual, because our brown sugar here clumps so easily when it contacts liquid, I mix it in with the dry ingredients.)
3. Wet ingredients: In a separate bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, vanilla, eggs, and milk.
4. Stir these wet and dry ingredients together.
5. Middle layer: In a separate small bowl, combine the 1 Tablespoon cinnamon and the remaining 2 Tablespoons brown sugar.
6. Topping: In a small bowl, combine the topping ingredients until crumbly.
7. Pour half of the cake batter into the 8 x 8 pan. Top with the cinnamon and brown sugar mixture. Then add the rest of the cake batter to the top of the pan.
8. Sprinkle the crumbly topping on top of the cake.
9. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean or with a few small cake crumbles on it. Serve warm.
This recipe adapted from HealthyFoodForLiving.