Cheese & Chocolate… any date that involves large quantities of these two is definitely to be enjoyed!
- Set up a fondue bar with a few different fondues, several meats, vegetables, fruits, and grains for dipping, and dipping sauces.
- Make the dining area really fancy with a tablecloth, cloth napkins, fancy glasses and nice plates.
- Send a fun invitation to your date the day of the dinner.
- Play soft dinner music in the background.
- Eat at the table or sit on the floor around a low coffee table.
- Chocolate Fondue: Dipping foods: mangoes, pears, strawberries, bananas, pineapple, apples, angel food cake, pound cake, sweet crackers, marshmallows. For the chocolate fondue, I just melted some dark chocolate with 1-2 Tablespoons of oil until the chocolate reached a consistency I liked.
- Broth Fondue: Dipping foods: meatballs, pre-cooked bite-sized meats, shrimp, scallops, mushrooms, vegetables, potato pieces, sauces for dipping. The recipe I used is below.
- Cheese Fondue: Dipping foods: cubed french/Italian bread, homemade croutons, veggie pieces, mushrooms. florets of broccoli and cauliflower, bite-sized cooked chicken or mini chicken legs, beef & pork slices (pre-cooked), roasted potatoes. The recipe I used is below.
- Serve all of the fondues at the same time or one by one.
Cheese Fondue Recipe
Ingredients: 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1 cup cheddar cheese, 2 teaspoons flour, up to 1 cup liquid of choice such as milk, cream, or chicken or vegetable broth (play with these or combinations of these according to your desired taste), 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
Directions: Mix the flour and cheeses in a medium bowl and set aside. Heat 3/4 cups of the liquid and garlic powder over low heat. Stir in the cheese a little at a time. Continue adding cheese until the desired consistency is reached. Add more liquid if it becomes too thick. I like to use my rice cooker set on “warm” to serve this because it keeps it soft and dip-able.
Oil/ Broth Fondue
Ingredients: 2 bay leaves, 4-5 garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons dried parsley or Italian seasoning, 2 teaspoons fresh ground pepper, 3 cups water, about 3 cups of beef broth, 1 package French onion soup mix, salt, pepper, other seasonings to taste
Directions: Mix all of these ingredients together in a fondue pan or electric pan & allow to simmer together for about an hour. This recipe is really flexible… I start here and then play with it until it tastes just the way I like.
Mix about 1/4 teaspoon wasabi with about 3 Tablespoons soy sauce in a small dish. Add more wasabi if desired.
Garlic Chili Dip
In a small dish, mix 3 Tablespoons soy sauce and 1 Tablespoon garlic/ chili sauce. Add more garlic/ chili sauce to taste.
In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup ketchup, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, 1 Tablespoon horseradish, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
Honey Mustard Dip
In a small dish, combine 1/4 cup honey, 2 Tablespoons of dijon mustard (or regular mustard), and salt and pepper to taste.
Sweet and Sour Dip
In a small dish, combine 2 Tablespoons of white vinegar, 2 Tablespoons of ketchup, and 2 Tablespoons of sugar. Stir to combine and add salt and pepper to taste.