1 pound ground beef or pork
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
3 spicy green peppers, partially seeded & chopped
2 cups black beans
1 cup corn kernels
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
2 cups cheese of choice (I like to use 100% cheddar or 1/2 cheddar, 1/2 mozzarella.)
six 8″ corn tortillas or flour tortillas
Directions & Notes:
1. Over medium heat, brown the ground meat and onions. Drain.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients except for cheese and tortillas. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt to taste if necessary depending on preference and the type of tomato sauce used.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. In a 13 x 9 pan, first add about 1/2 cup of the sauce mixture. Then arrange three of the tortillas over top to cover the pan, cutting tortillas if necessary.
5. Add half of the remaining sauce and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle on one cup of the cheese, then another layer of tortillas, the rest of the sauce, and the rest of the cheese.
6. Cover the pan with tinfoil and bake for about 20 minutes. Everything is already cooked; this is just to warm the casserole through and melt the cheese.
7. After 20 minutes, remove the tinfoil and bake another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is browning.
This recipe is adapted from McCormick Recipe Inspirations.